Danish Duck Breast Recipe with Roasted Red Cabbage
Dansk andebryst med rødkål
Duck is a popular meal in Denmark. This authentic Danish recipe will make your mouth water. At Christmas, most Danes will prepare roast duck as the traditional formal meal. Certainly, the entire family will gather around the table to enjoy the Christmas feast together. Through the year, duck breast is a popular and tasty dinner choice for many Danes.
- 14 oz finely cut red cabbage
- 4 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 peeled oranges, cut into quartered slices
- 3 unpeeled apples, cut into wedges (approx. 9 oz)
- 9 oz stoned prunes
- 1 oz Danish butter (Slightly salted butter)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 18 fl oz duck stock (or chicken stock if not available)
- 3 duck's breast with skin on (11 oz each)
- From the red cabbage mixture and perhaps duck stock, 3/4 pt in all
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/4 pt whipping cream
- Gravy colouring
- Mix vegetables, fruit, butter, vinegar and spices in a roasting pan.
- Pour over the stock and roast the red cabbage mixture in the centre of the oven. Lightly turn the mixture 1-2 times while roasting.
- Score the skin of the duck's breast. Sprinkle on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the meat, skin-side up, on a wire roasting rack.
- Place, after approx. 20 min., the rack with the meat in the middle of the oven, above the red cabbage mixture. Roast for the last approx. 35 min.
- Remove the red cabbage mixture from the oven and keep it warm.
- Place a roasting tray lined with aluminium foil underneath the meat and grill in top of the oven until the skin is golden and crisp. Leave to rest, covered, for approx. 10 min.
- Pour the stock from the red cabbage into a saucepan and bring it to the boil.
- Stir together flour and half of the whipping cream in a bowl.
- Add remaining cream and stir the thickening into the stock.
- Boil the sauce, covered and over a low heat, for approx. 5 min. Add gravy browning and season.
- Season the roasted red cabbage.
- Cut the duck's breasts into thin diagonal slices, from the pointed end, and arrange them on a serving dish. Pour the red cabbage into a warm bowl and the sauce into another.
LastUpdate: 2016-12-24 14:41:50