Danish Roast Goose with Prunes & Apples
Gås med svesker og æbler
Another traditional Danish recipe, this dish is exceptional and unique. For a theme party, or even for a special event, this dish will impress your guests and remain in their minds for a long time.
- 8 ounces prunes
- 9lbs goose
- ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced.
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Soak the pitted prunes overnight.
- Remove all excess fat from the goose but keep it for later use.
- Rub the goose with lemon, salt and pepper inside and out.
- Stuff the goose with prunes and apples and tie it together
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Place the goose on its side on a roasting rack and place in the oven
- After 30min place the goose in a roasting pan filled with the chicken stock.
- After 1½ hour turn the goose to the other side, and roast for another 1½ hour.
- ½ hours before the goose is cooked pour off the juices into a pan.
- The last 15 min. of cooking lay the goose on its back and leave the oven door ajar to allow the skin to crisp.
- Baste with several tablespoons of cold water.
- Use the pan juices and the removed fat to make gravy.
- Serve with potatoes and caramelised potatoes.
LastUpdate: 2016-07-23 09:20:04