Red Beet Soup
Winter in the Danish countryside can be cold, bitter and wet. Perhaps that is why so many traditional recipes have a hearty style to them. This amazing soup has been a winter favorite in farming communities for generations. Today, it is also served in the finest of Copenhagen restaurants.
- 12 large Beets
- 2 pounds short ribs (beef ribs)
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 big onion sliced in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Salt and white pepper
- Sour cream for the garnish
- Wash the beets clean in cold water.
- Scrape off the outer skin of the beets with a sharp knife.
- Cut the beets into small squares
- Put all the ingredients except from the sour cream into a casserole dish.
- Cover the ingredients with water.
- Cover the casserole dish and let it simmer for 2½ hours over low heat.
- Remove the rib bones with the help of a sieve.
- Serve the soup with sour cream on top.
LastUpdate: 2015-04-21 10:30:21